When Will I Be Able To File An Appeal Against The IRS For Amounts Due?

When a person receives a letter from the IRS stating that they owe a certain amount of money, they can send a letter in response stating that they disagree and request to speak with a revenue officer. If the IRS does not agree at that point, then the individual could take the first step in the appeals process by appealing to their manager or supervisor. After that, the individual could file a collections appeals process request in order to move their case to those who have more authority.

How Do I File An Appeal Against The IRS?

Prior to filing an appeal against the IRS, an individual must contact the individual who is listed on the letter of request for payment and inquire as to the amount they claim is owed. If an individual receives no response, then they can file a Collection Appeals Program (CAP) appeal. After that, the individual would have to file for a hearing with an appeals officer.

The IRS Sent Me A Notice Saying I Owe From Previous Tax Years, And I Don’t Agree; What Can I Do?

If a person receives a letter from the IRS claiming that they owe from previous tax years and the person disagrees, they should contact the IRS and explain why they disagree, and request an in-person meeting or speak with a revenue officer.

How Long Does The IRS Have To Respond To An Appeal?

In general, the IRS has 30 days to respond to an appeal. However, a person will almost always receive a letter from the IRS within those 30 days that says that they need more time and will respond within an additional 60 to 90 days. If the IRS does not contact the individual within that additional period of time, then it would be advisable to contact the IRS and inquire about the status of the appeal.

What Happens If You Are Audited and Fail?

If someone is audited and fails, they will receive a 90-day letter that states that the audit is concluded and they owe a certain amount of money. At that time, an individual would have 90 days to request judicial relief or appeal to the supervisor of the auditor.

What Happens If You Are Audited and Owe Money?

If someone is audited by the IRS and owes money, they can pay the amount owed in full, set up a payment plan to pay off the amount owed, seek an offer in compromise whereby they could pay less than the amount owed due to economic hardship, or file an appeal of the audit.

Do You Get Your Tax Refund If You Are Audited?

In general, a person will have their refund taken away after being audited, and will be charged additional money by the IRS. For instance, if someone is going to receive a $1,000 refund and the IRS assesses an additional $3,000 on their taxes, then the individual would end up owing $2,000 to the IRS.

For more information on Filing An Appeal Against The IRS, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (864) 271-7940 today.

Office Location

11 McGee Street
Greenville, SC 29601

Phone: (864) 271-7940
Fax: (864) 370-3413
Toll Free: 1-800-216-1116