When can a child support order be changed?

When can a child support order be changed?

  • January 31, 2012
  • David Greene
  • Comments Off on When can a child support order be changed?

Child support is always open for review until the supported child is emancipated. This usually occurs when she turns 18, 19, or graduates from high school, whichever is later.  However under some circumstances, emancipation may occur sooner or later.  Any requested change in child support has to be based on a



change of circumstances.  A change by either parent in employment level qualifies as such a change; however, when both incomes have changed it is not certain it which direction the child support might change, higher or lower.  Other changes, such as change in medical condition of either parent or the child, can also qualify as a change in condition to necessitate a change in child support. To have child support changed one must file a complaint in the Family Court asking for a change in child support based on a change of condition.  A hearing will then be held after which the judge will decide whether or not the child support should be changed and by how much.

Office Location

11 McGee Street
Greenville, SC 29601

Phone: (864) 271-7940
Fax: (864) 370-3413
Toll Free: 1-800-216-1116