What Happens If I Have Made A Mistake On My Tax Return?

If you made a mistake on your tax return, you need to correct it with the IRS. To correct the error, you would need to file an amended return with the IRS. If you fail to correct the mistake, you may be charged penalties and interest. You can file the amended return yourself or have a professional prepare it for you.

Can I Re-File My Taxes If I Forgot Something?

You can refile your taxes if you need to make a change or forgot to add something. You can file an amended return using Form 1040-X. Form 1040-X is available on the IRS website or at an IRS local office. You can also have a professional prepare the amended return for you.

What Is The Penalty For An Incorrect Tax Return?

There is no specific penalty for an incorrect tax return. However, penalties can apply to your incorrect tax return. For instance, if you have to pay more tax, more penalties will apply in correlation to the increase in tax. On the other hand, if your mistake resulted in less tax, there would be no penalties associated with your corrected return.

Will The IRS Catch It If I Have Made A Mistake?

The IRS will most likely catch a mistake made on a tax return. The IRS has substantial computer technology and programs that cross-references tax returns against data received from other sources, such as employers. When the IRS cross-references your returns with other information, their programs will almost surely catch any mistake or incorrect information reported on your tax return.

How Often Does The IRS Double Check Tax Returns?

The IRS’ computer programs continuously check tax returns. It is all automated. If there is a discrepancy when the computer cross-checks a return with other data it has on file, that return is flagged and analyzed by an individual.

What If You Filed Your Taxes And Forgot A W-2?

If you filed your taxes and forgot to include a W-2, you should immediately file an amended return and include the W-2. The process is relatively simple. You can file it yourself or have a professional file for you.

Can I Go To Jail For Filing My Taxes Incorrectly?

You cannot go to jail for making a mistake or filing your tax return incorrectly. However, if your taxes are wrong by design and you intentionally leave off items that should be included, the IRS can look at that action as fraudulent, and a criminal suit can be instituted against you. It is the intent that determines whether criminal action is taken. If you simply make a mistake and take action to correct it, then it is not unlawful.

Is Mistake Or Ignorance Of The Law A Valid Defense For Any Tax Crime?

It is not a valid defense for any tax crime to claim a mistake or ignorance of the law. Claiming ignorance of the law will not help you with penalties if the IRS believes it was an intentional act. It will also not help against criminal charges. Everyone is presumed to know the law.

Should I File An Amended Tax Return If I Received An IRS CP-2000 Notice After Filing My Taxes?

You should not file an amended return if you received an IRS CP-2000 notice. You should contact the IRS first at the number on the CP-2000 notice. The notice will state that you have under-reported income and will also state a proposed recalculation of your taxes based on their information. If you realize that you did indeed leave off some income, the best thing to do is to contact them and tell them that you agree with their calculations. You can then pay the tax due without having to file an amended return.

What Should I Do If The IRS Rejected My E-Filed Original Tax Return? Should I File Again?

If the IRS rejected your original e-filed tax return, you should find out why it was rejected. Sometimes, it is merely a technical mistake, and you can correct and resend it. However, it is best to consult with a professional if you get a rejection from the IRS.

What To Do If You Received An IRS Audit Notice

If you received an IRS audit notice, read the notification very carefully because it will explain why the IRS is auditing your return. Based on the notice, you should immediately collect all supporting documents to prove your position if you believe the IRS is wrong. If the IRS is right and you recognize the mistake, then you should contact them at the number that’s listed on the letter and make arrangements to pay the debt.

More Information

For more information on Making Mistakes On Tax Returns In SC, a free case evaluation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (864) 271-7940  today.

Office Location

11 McGee Street
Greenville, SC 29601

Phone: (864) 271-7940
Fax: (864) 370-3413
Toll Free: 1-800-216-1116