Filing when you cannot pay the amount due

Filing when you cannot pay the amount due

  • April 15, 2014
  • David Greene
  • Comments Off on Filing when you cannot pay the amount due

Should you file a return even if you cannot pay the mount due? Yes, you always need to file your return on time even if you can’t pay. This is Tax Day and I hope all of my readers will file their returns, or an extension, today. What you do not want to do is ignore the tax due. There are several ways you can arrange to pay the tax to avoid penalties and sometimes interest. First, you can file an automatic extension of time to file. This will give you until October 15 to find the money. However, interest will be charged on the amount you owe from April 15 until paid because an extension to file is not an extension to pay. Second, try to get a loan to pay the tax. If you borrow against the equity in your home, the interest will probably be deductible next year. Third, you can now pay your taxes by credit card. Finally, you can set up an Installment Agreement with the IRS to pay the tax over time. Certain restrictions apply which space does not permit me to discuss here.

Office Location

11 McGee Street
Greenville, SC 29601

Phone: (864) 271-7940
Fax: (864) 370-3413
Toll Free: 1-800-216-1116